Monday, February 24, 2014

On motherhood...

What a crazy two weeks it has been since our son entered the world.
I think it's been a mixture of tears of joy, love, shock, a bit of frustration and pure sleep deprivation.
I feel like while we are totally head over heels in love with our new addition we have discovered the scary side of parenting early on.
From sleepless nights, shower lacking days, bottles laying all over the house, blogs opened everywhere on parenting advice, bibs and bits of baby clothing strewn over the house most often with chunks of baby vomit and two parents with baggy eyes and messy hair!
My Mum says it's only pay back as I was a horrible baby and never slept. Elijah was blessed with the same issues I had as a baby...bad colic/reflux. For the first week I swear we didn't get any sleep at all, well I know that I didn't. Luckily with a change of bottles, formula and some infants friend we are actually getting somewhere. For the last three nights we have finally had nights where Elijah has not only slept, but slept right through!

I think the hardest thing I have found is perseverance when he is crying his little lungs out. It's so easy to get so stressed and get to the point of crying along with him. I let myself get to the point of utter exhaustion and wanting to give up. I am so lucky and grateful for some awesome family and friends that helped me through. Thank goodness.

So two weeks (almost three) into motherhood and I have realised that I am on a massive learning curve. I am looking forward to getting back to Tasmania and getting ourselves into a better routine and enjoying these special new months with our son. 

I can't wait to share more of our growing family's milestones as little Elijah grows up.
xx

p.s. thanks for all the lovely welcoming messages. We are delighted with Elijah and love him to bits.

No comments: