Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Elijah Mason -The Birth Story

Elijah Mason Williams
Born: 6th February at 7.38pm
Weight: 9pound 9ounces (4.34kg)
Length: 52cm
Head Circumference: 37.5cm

We are so delighted to be able to post finally about the birth of our baby boy Elijah....or Baby E as we  so commonly referred to him as. 

He is now six days old! Feel like time is flying so quickly. It's been a rather exhausting and tiring week getting used to our new addition. A lot of learning curves but we are loving spending time with our little man.

Elijah's birth story:
I was really hoping for a natural labour but unfortunately things didn't happen that way. Elijah had other plans and didn't want to come out and meet us - it was obviously very cosy in there! So at 9 days overdue on the 5th of February we were admitted to the hospital to begin the induction process. At 8am they administered the first dose of Prostin gel and I was told to walk around the hospital. Adam and I may have been naughty and taken a trip to Spotlight...but hey...we got the walking part done! We arrived back at the hospital and spent the day waiting, waiting and waiting for something to happen. Nothing did so they administered the second dose of Prostin gel at 3pm. It felt like time was at a stand still and as I was hooked up to the CTG machine tracing the babies heart and any uterine contractions I couldn't move off the bed. All I was feeling were very mild tightenings. I was worried they were just going to send me home and we wouldn't be meeting our baby any time soon. It wasn't until after Adam left that night that I could no longer lay down on the bed. The contractions while still only mild were becoming uncomfortable. I was moved to the labour ward where I had a hot shower and used the fit ball to try and get some relief. I felt a bit disheartened when the midwife told me I was only 3cm dilated. It felt like we hadn't even begun. My back was in a lot of pain however so to get some sleep I had a dose of Pethidine. Best sleep ever!

The next morning I woke up and wasn't having contractions at all. I felt relatively ok. I was moved back to the ward and Adam arrived soon after. I barely had time to eat a piece of toast and the doctors came in. They had decided that the gel had progressed things far enough to begin the next stage of induction and so at 10.15 they artificially broke my waters and at 10.30 they started the drip. I must say if I have another baby I definitely do not want to see that drip ever again!!! It caused the most painful contractions. Thursday felt like the longest day of my life. Once again I was hooked up to the CTG machine and couldn't move from the bed. In retrospect I wish I had have asked for the epidural since I couldn't move anyway. I spent all of Thursday having regular and painful contractions. I think I made it worse for myself by watching the CTG machine because I could see the numbers rising and would prepare myself for the pain of another contraction before it happened. At one point they weren't getting a very good trace on the babies heart rate so they decided to insert a clip onto the babies head to get a better trace. The doctor tried four times and failed each time to get it wasn't exactly painful but definitely a very uncomfortable process. The midwife called another doctor in to try and do it (much to the other doctors disgust) and she got it first go! At 4.30pm they turned the drip up and this is where things got painful very quickly. I hadn't taken any pain relief up until this point and it was about now that I needed the gas! Our midwife had to leave between 5 and 6pm and said she would be back and that the baby wasn't close to coming yet. Well we proved her wrong! They actually had to turn the drip down while she was gone as I was having contraction upon contraction without a break and my body needed a break - I was exhausted.  By the time she came back I was 7cm dilated and my cervix was thin. To me this felt like I still had ages to go. Within the next half hour I transitioned into the second stage of labour and felt the need to push. It only took about 30 minutes of pushing for our beautiful baby to be born. When he decided he was coming, he did & very quickly! I actually much preferred the second stage of labour to the first because although the pushing was painful, it wasn't as long and as uncomfortable as the contractions. 

It was an amazing experience to be able to hold Elijah for the first time. We got so caught up in the moment that we actually forgot to ask whether he was a boy! Oops!
Unfortunately I didn't get to spend long with him after he was born because he is such a big baby and did some damage on the way out. They tried to fix the tear in the labour ward and I honestly could have killed the doctor that was doing it as she kept going even though the pain of what she was doing was unbearable. I sucked so much gas that I almost knocked myself unconscious and I lost my vision but could still hear what was going on around me. The tear was too off to theatre I went under a general anaesthetic. It was a bit heart breaking for me to be separated from my son that soon after meeting him but I am glad Adam was there to sit with Elijah while I was in theatre. I arrived back on the maternity ward at 2am and was able to spend hours cuddling my little boy.

We spent five days in hospital before being discharged. I have to admit that I found the first two days extremely hard. I hadn't slept in days and to be honest, the breast feeding thing didn't come naturally to me. In fact I am still having issues with breast feeding as my supply is just not enough to meet the demands of our big boy! So on day four we decided to top up his feeds with formula and try and express to build up supply. It wasn't exactly the way I wanted to feed my son, but I need to do what is best for both of us!

The first time holding my little boy. He only cried once and then he went off to sleep soundly. 

Our very first family photo.

Just to prove how big our bubba really was. He was double the size of my niece!

First bath with Daddy. Our boy LOVES his bath time.

He looks drunk after his feeds!

He loves sleeping with his hands near his face!

This first week has been amazing. We are both very tired parents though and are looking forward to relaxing over the next few days after Adam has a few days off work.

This mumma is off for some shut eye before our gorgeous little boy wakes.



Jaimie Ramsey said...

Kayla, he is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story with us. When I had my own baby "E" They had to give her a clip to monitor her too. I remember how upsetting that was, thinking of them inserting that wire into her wee little head! I am glad you are both OK and finally home now. Enjoy being a Mum, I know you will do a great job xxx

Jaimie Ramsey said...

Kayla, he is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story with us. When I had my own baby "E" They had to give her a clip to monitor her too. I remember how upsetting that was, thinking of them inserting that wire into her wee little head! I am glad you are both OK and finally home now. Enjoy being a Mum, I know you will do a great job xxx

Kel said...

Thanks for sharing your story Kayla. He is soooo beautiful. Enjoy your little man, he will grow too quickly xx

Caroline B said...

Awww such a cute bubba.
I can totally hear u on the induction thing. I had it with my first & it was the worst. This time round we're hoping to go to the birth center and do thing naturally - bubba willing of course LOL
You guys make gorgeous parents & don't stress about the milk thing to much it took a few days for mine to come in & then it came in in force ;)

Lizzyc said...

Oh a big congratulations! He is so handsome and your birth story brought tears to my eyes as each birth is special and so miraculous! All the best with your new son and life as a family now!

Tracey said...

Congratulations! Such a beautiful story. Get as much rest as you can and do whatever is best for the both of you with the feeding. He is gorgeous, look forward to seeing more photos.