Saturday, January 25, 2014

The start of Baby E's Project Life album

Ok so I will admit that I have attempted Project life before. I never really got far with it because I just don't take enough photos and I thought that my life was a bit too boring to scrap day in and day out. Plus I struggle to scrap the 'everyday' things. When I found out I was pregnant, I kind of jumped at the chance because I saw it as a way to finally have something to scrap about that shone the light off me! I have been a little bit too keen for this project, in fact I have become very organised!

I decided to break it into two bits. I could have scrapped my pregnancy and then Baby E's first year from then on but I decided to create a smaller Snap! 6x8 album to document the pregnancy (which I will be sharing very soon, as soon as E makes his appearance into the world) but I have decided to start a 12x12 Project Life albums starting from day one...birth day!

So here is what I have started with.
I wanted to have the album prepared and the first couple of months layouts/cards chosen so that I could just sit down and 'create' without too much hassle. First baby, so I thought it might be a bit hectic for a while.
My idea of documenting this on my blog is to hold myself accountable and to also have a bit of a game plan. I have some ideas circling around my head and I must admit that I have been online Pinteresting ideas all day awaiting labour...yes the things we do!


I chose the Becky Higgins Project Life Sunshine album. Mainly because I love the don't and I love the sayings .... life really is beautiful and I want my child to be happy & positive.


It probably looks like I have repeated a spread on the right hand side here but it's actually just where the top one has a lot of blanks for 4x6 photos. I need to make sure that I take plenty of photos in the first few weeks and have them in the right orientation to fit with these pages.


In the end I think I used a mix of Becky Higgins Coral Core Kit, WRMK Chalkboard, Studio Calico Cards (from various kits) and even some Snap! I find that the core kits have far too many of each design. I'm not a repetitive person and I really like to mix things up, so I only got a partial kit!
I am however on the hunt for more designs to add to the album. I think I have made enough for the first 16 weeks so far. I want to stick with this fresh modern/bright theme. I think it works. It's very 'me'.

Some plans for my first proper Project Life album (just to hold myself accountable):

1. Mix it up. I really don't want to stick with the 12x12 layout. I love the range of PL inserts you can get now and want to use some 6x12, 8.5x11 and maybe even smaller. I also really like the idea of 2x2 inch cards. Must find some protectors in this size!

2. Journal! This is my down fall and where I think Project Life will really help me out. I am terrible at journalling. Although with a cute new baby to scrap about I am sure I will have plenty to say!

3. Use my Silhouette Cameo. It's not there to be a dust collector. Troll Pinterest and find some new and creative ways of using it.

4. Take pictures of E on the same day of each month to record his monthly progress.

5. Get creative with photography and taking the time to learn more about my camera to document this special time.

6. Think outside of the box and DO NOT rush! It's not a race.

So here I am committing to at least one PL spread every week of this year, so that by January 2015 I should have 52 spreads. This is a big task, but I can do it!

For those of you that are interested in checking out my Pinterest board and the hundred of Project Life inspired pins I have been pinning lately, you can check out my Project Life board or even my special baby themed Project Life board here.

Much love.

Kayla. x

3 comments:

MariClaudi said...

Good for you! Getting started ahead of time is a great idea. I created a PL style album for my 5th baby. I have included a link in case you want to check it out.
http://mariclaudibenitez.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-2013-project-life-april-blog-hop.html

Katalina-Marie Kruszewski said...

I have never tried pl before but my plan is to this year! yours is great and i love how you have it all set up to go!

Ashley Calder said...

Sounds like you have a good plan in place for staying on track!